Tuesday, January 28, 2014

{Shopping} Peter Som for DesigNation (Kohl's)



I don't typically cover designer collaborations with Kohl's (aka DesigNation). In general, they don't perk my interest too much. Sure, there's always at least one item that I like, possibly love, but never enough to warrant doing the full mile review. To be honest, I'm not even sure there is in this case either, but out of the past three, the Peter Som for DesigNation line has interested me the most (I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the floral prints and pastel colors :P). So in the least, I'd like to do a lookbook coverage. Whether or not I make it out to the store yet, we shall see. There's a lot going on in my life right now and its slowly sucking away at whatever spare energy I have. Plus, if Derek Lam is any indication.. the line will most likely launch in the beginning of April, right around FH's birthday, which means a definate no-go.

Strangely enough, while the lookbook is available at Kohl's for any one to view, there's been no official announcement or even a date set. The project launch time for this collection is in April, which will put almost a month between this and Peter Pilotto for Target. In the past, Target and Kohl's collabs have only been a few weeks apart and, in my opinion, to the determent of Kohl's. I know one of the reasons why I don't pay as much attention to DesigNation is that I simply cannot afford to. Target has a way of really sucking up all of my money and I need more than a few weeks to recover.

In any case, on to the lookbook! I've showcased my favorites below, along with my general thoughts. You can see the rest of the lookbook below that (minus pricing info).

Peter Som is an American designer, born and raised in San Francisco (w00t Bay Area~!). His design style has been influenced by his parents (who were both architects) and the laid-back hippie-ish fashion of the Bay Area. For DesigNation, Som drew his inspiration from beaches and lifestyle of St. Barths.

One of the things that I really like about this collection is that the size range goes from XXS-XXL. However, judging by how some of these items fit on the model, I am concerned that this line may run large and cause vanity sizing issues. I'm also curious to see how the material will be. Kohl's collab lines seem to be very hit or miss in regards to material. Its either really nice quality, like the Derek Lam dress, or super cheap like the Catherine Maladrino laser cut dress.


Tank Maxi Dress - $78; Haltered Maxi Dress - $78

I adore the Tank Maxi dress. I have since I first saw the sketch of it. It looks like its going to come in two other colors, so if you're not crazy about the rainbow print (but why wouldn't you be?!) then there will be other options. I do hope this dress is cut well. Depending on the material it could hang really nicely or make you look 10 lbs heavier. I have high hopes, however, because this dress actually looks pretty slimming on the model. Unlike the Haltered Maxi dress which looks like sizing down will be necessary. The Haltered Maxi is a very pretty dress, though. Its hard to go wrong with any shade of purple right now since Pantone declared Radiant Orchid is going to the color of the year.


Romper in Palm Banane print and Villa Striped Coral Combo - $64

These rompers are beyond adorable and a great representative of Som's style. The cut looks well structured (though the shine on the floral print worries me a bit) and the prints speak to his love of the Bay and architecture. The one thing I am not crazy about is the crew neck collar. Between this and Target (oh, and ModCloth), I'm really quite tired of crew neck collars. I want an open neckline! Though I do think it works well for this particular item.

One thing I want to point out is that it doesn't look like the two rompers are made of the same material. The Palm Banane one seems thinner (note way it wrinkles) and mostly likely a polyester/nylon blend judging by the shine. The Villa Striped Coral Combo looks to be heavier, almost crepe the way it falls on the model. Then again, its hard to say, since we don't know how much photoshop was applied to either photo.



V-Neck Sweatshirt - $50; Bermuda Shorts - $44; Mermaid Dress - $64

I should really stop buying sweatshirts. Really should. But this one has a v-neck and looks drapey instead of boxy like the Target ones. I normally don't care for short sleeves on a sweatshirt. I think that its an older look, but I really like it here. And of course, I love the print. I may consider getting this if the Halter Maxi ends up not working out.

The Mermaid dress looks more like it belongs in the Catherine Maladrino line. Its very cute and chic, with just a touch of sass. However adorable it is, its not the most unique dress and possibly I don't think its really worth paying the designer premium. Once it goes on sale though? Hehe.



So what do you think readers? Is this collab better than the last few? Still in the meh category? Or will you be hitting up Kohl's once a launch date is announced?


Rest of the lookbook (Click to enlarge). For pricing information, please visit Kohls website:









bloglovintwittertumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment