Thursday, October 17, 2013

{DIY} Fox Applique for Sweaters



I figure by now everyone needs a break from Limsanity. And what better way to take a break than to learn how to create your very own little fox! (Though I can't promise I don't have a few more Lim outfit posts in the works). By now most of you have seen my DIY Fox sweater... What? You haven't? Well.. here it is! :P

I spent a really, really long time looking for a fox sweater last year and I couldn't find one that suited my taste. So eventually I decided to make my own! This project is actually pretty quick and simple... even though it took me almost a year to complete (Shush Anna, I know I still owe you a Gingy Sweater). Once you have the applique finished, all you need is a hot iron and some iron on adhesive and you'll be good to go!

So lets begin shall we?

For this project you'll need...
❤ A sweater (close or tight knit) ❤ Scissors (I recommend two: one for paper, one for fabric) ❤ Sketch Paper ❤ Pencil ❤ Sharpie or Fabric Pen ❤ A few sheets of felt (depending on your color choice) ❤ Needle & Thread ❤ Iron-on Adhesive (optional) ❤

Total time needed:
❤ 1 day ❤

Step O1: Create your pattern
Make sure to draw your furry creature as simple as possible. Details that are too fine will be difficult to cut out.



Step O2: Cut. It. Out.
Har har get it? Or did I totally just date myself?



Step O3: Flip over and trace.
Its important to trace the mirror image of what you want your applique to look like. It'll insure that you won't have any ink showing in case you cut a little off.



Step O4: Repeat steps 02 and 03
Slowly disect your poor little furry creature. Do not cut it all out at once! Some of your patterns will overlap and if you cut out too soon you could ruin one of the patterns.



Step O5: Sew! Sew! Sew!
Now its time to recreate your fox. Its best to hand sew this portion (and this is where the majority of your time will go to) since there could be a lot of sharp/fine corners. I used a back stitch for all of the big pieces and then a blanket stitch for all of the smaller ones.

I also used a backstitch to create an "outline" for the tail.



Ta-da! Mista Fox is alive!!!



Step O6: Find him/her a home!
When I sew on any type of appliques, I like to use an iron-on adhesive to fix my product into place. I like to sew by hand (though, to be fair, I also don't know how to use my sewing machine) and I just find it easier since the iron-on adhesive reduces the amount of fabric movement. Its important to note that you should never iron on felt directly. The cheap kind is made up of mostly synthetics which means it can burn if left under direct heat for too long, where as the more expensive kind can be ruined by too much heat.

Once I have my applique ironed on, I finished up the edges with a blanket stitch to reduce fray.




And that's it! Your animal sweater has now been created and is ready to wear out.

Enjoy!

Please share your creations if you decide to give this a try.

Happy Thursday and thanks for reading!

P.S. I can no longer look at this sweater without having "WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY!?!" screaming in my head.... T.T


bloglovintwittertumblr

3 comments:

  1. so creative! i don't have the patience (or artistic skills) for this but i like it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to do something like this but with a different image! The fox looks so cute and you are so creative:)


    ♥ Charms | my ∞ fashion confession

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable-like a fox!!! Great illustration too!

    -Franci
    www.TheFashionPalate.com

    ReplyDelete