Thursday, December 6, 2012

Review: Neiman Marcus x Target



Leave it to me to do two large review posts back to back. Its not my fault! These collaborations are getting a little out of hand (though, not going to lie, severely excited for the upcoming one with Prabal Gurung and Derek Lam). At least this one went a little easier on my wallet?

So before I begin, I do want to apologize in advance for an entire review post using my mobile cam. This particular collaboration ran rather.. high? so I could only reasonably purchase one or two items (that and I blew half my life savings on Black Friday and Cyber Monday--kidding BF, kidding..kind of). Its for this reason that I rarely bother to check out the H&M collabs. Most of the time I think they're way over priced for what you are actually getting -- even if Versace's name is tattooed all over it. But considering the wide variety of designers, and with the backing of Neiman Marcus, there was very little I could do to resist this one. The plus about Target collaborations over H&M collaborations is that the items are easier for every-day purposes, where as I have no idea where its going to be appropriate for me to wear a giant duvet outside of the house.

That being said, my overall impressions of the Neiman Marcus x Target collection are not good. They're not necessarily bad, but I stand by my original opinion of feeling rather underwhelmed by the entire collection. In general, the quality of this line is pretty decent. Some would argue that it isn't that much higher than the average Target collaborations, but I disagree. There was lacking in some areas in terms of stitching and overall fit of things, but the fabric contents were good. You could feel the difference in your hands. However, do I feel like the items were worth their price points? No, not really. And apparently neither did most of Target's customers.

The photos below are from around 1:00 PM on December 01, 2012. I didn't have the energy or time to do the 6 AM line up this time around, and I'm quite glad I didn't. As you can see in the photos below, Target still had plenty of stock available. At least four size runs in the Robert Rodriguez lace dress.. all of which looked untouched. I went back again Monday night, and while a couple of sizes were out, for the most part there was plenty of stock in almost everything. BF first told me that he though the prices were ridiculous and that the average Target customer wasn't going to purchase a hundred dollar dress. I argued that these collaborations don't target the average Target consumer, and that this line wasn't a fail. In the end, we were both right. The NM x Target line is doing very well at Neiman Marcus. Its sold out in several styles online and in-stores. From the stand point of a Neiman Marcus customer these prices are a steal! But for the Target customers, even the ones who normally chase after designer collaborations, this ended up being just too far out of our price ranges.



Seriously fell in love with these Caroline Herrera prints! And the Oscar de la Renta dog collar and leash set are well worth the price




The good news is that despite the high prices, Target does seem to be learning from the disasters of Jason Wu and Missioni. There was a strict five per item limit and a hard return date of January 05th, 2013. Oh, and the Target website, didn't crash for once. Now, if that is because the items were also available on the Neiman Marcus website, I don't know. But I do know that at 6:30 AM on launch day, almost everything was still in stock.

Now the bad news. There are rumors floating about that this line will absolutely not go to clearance, which is a bit hard to swallow given the vast amount of stock that is available. Supposedly after January 05th the line will simply disappear. As to what will happen to it, no one seems to know. I sincerely hope, especially with the amount of attention retailers have been getting lately about not being green, that it all won't end up in salvage. So if there's something you really want but can't quite afford, time to start asking for Target or Neiman Marcus giftcards for Christmas.

Oh, and one more thing. Before we get into this, Target currently has a coupon out that gives you a $10 giftcard with a $50 purchase. Given that so much of this line is over $50... might as well get an extra $10 out of it! This offer is going on until December 08th.

On to the reviews! I didn't look at the accessories and home goods too closely. Just in glance and took photos for show. There were a few notable things, like the Marc Jacob scarf that I loved (and of course forgot to take a photo of). Mostly these are to look at, but you can find all the clothing reviews below.



Ugh. So severely disappointed in the Oscar de la Renta bag. The promo photos made it seem like it was a lace or appliqué on top of a white canvas bag. Its actually a contrast print on top of a cream colored bag. The material is similar to the Jason Wu for Target cream satchel. Not worth $60 at all.


The Marc Jacob pouches are pure leather, but there was some noticeable fraying at the seams at the ones I looked at. Not really the quality I would expect from something with Marc Jacob's name on it! The pouches are probably one of the more popular items, but personally didn't think they were worth spending $70 on.



Wanted to touch/play/probably end up accidentally breaking one of these so badly! Simply gorgeous!





rag & bone Heathered Shawl-Collar
$49.99 Boys (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), Size Medium and Large



At the moment, this is the only item from the collection that I own. I ended up with the boy's large, but wanted to show the medium, and the men's small for comparison. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance (basically I forgot) to try on the boy's XL, but I found the boy's large to be a perfect fit for me. Its funny the amount of women that are coveting this sweater. When I went back all of the large and XL sizes had been sold out, but there were still at least two full size runs of the men's sweater.

I absolutely love this sweater. Its definitely a must-have if it fits into your style. Its super warm and cozy and amazingly does not itch (47% wool). I was actually a little worried about the itch aspect of it because it does feel rather prickly when you first put it on. I love how thick the sweater is and I've gotten tons of compliments on it already. It passed BF's critical eye (he's in product design, so I tend to run a lot of things by him) in the boy's price range. The shawl is simple and not overly exaggerated, but manages to stay in place as you move through out the day. Its definitely more of a $50 sweater than a $70 one, so its a good thing I preferred the boy's sizing over the men's!

$69.99 Mens (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), Size Small




Lela Rose Guipure Lace Top
$69.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size X-Small



Sigh. The heartbreak of the collection. I wanted to love this so badly! The fit is actually not that bad (though BF absolutely hated it) if you have a slim build. I've heard a lot of girls complaining that they had to size up for their hips, but for me it seemed to fit well. The material felt nice and I could see it being paired with several things, but at the same time I couldn't justify a $70 price tag when the guipure lace is only on the front of the shirt! I really hate half shirt designs. It just looks lazy and cheap, like the brand was trying to cut costs by only have lace on part of the shirt instead of creating a uniformed look. This top falls into the if it went down to 70% off clearance category (too bad that's not going to happen).


Skaist-Taylor Faux-Fur Vest
$79.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size X-Small



This is my "am I seriously wearing a faux-fur vest" face? Obviously, not something that falls into my style. That being said, it is a very good quality vest. The faux-fur was super soft and was very comfortable on. I hate the shoulders, however. They made me feel like I was wearing football pads. I liked how the vest wore closed and opened, and I think not a bad value if you like this. I found this to fit true to size.


Prabal Gurung Sequined Cape
$79.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), One Size



I'm not really a cape person, and this particular one didn't cause any break throughs. Its pretty. I like the subtly in the sequins and the lace bow, but the material felt strange. Its a wool blend and unfortunately not as comfortable as the rag & bone sweater. It was pretty itchy during the time I was trying it on. Its also a shame they decided to do this as one size fits all verus a S/M and M/L sizing. I like where the cape hits me and feels like someone with a longer torso could've benefited from the option of having a longer length. I do hope that this isn't a preview of what's to come in February. I have fairly high hopes for the Prabal Gurung for Target line, but I felt like this cape was a pretty bad miss.




Thom Browne Rib Trim Blazer
$129.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size X-Small



This blazer is adorable. Its another wool blend (man, they really planned this line out for winter didn't they?) and feels thick enough to keep you warm (at least in California weather) without needing an additional coat. I found that it does run a bit small. The size I have on is an XS and it pulls my shoulders back more than I would like. You can also see that the front of the blazer doesn't lie totally flat. I think a small size would've fit me more comfortably (there weren't any available to try on), but probably wouldn't have looked as darling opened up. Even still, I really enjoyed it and considering the material blend and the overall structure and details, found it was worth the cost.


Robert Rodriguez Ruffled Sleeveless Top
$79.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size X-Small



This top runs large. Like way large. Or the cut just isn't right.. I'm really not sure which it is. Its not flattering in the least. I feel like William Shakespeare, pot belly and all, in this thing. Its a 100% polyester, which I found to be a shame given the price, and the fact that the other blends in the line have been so nice. While the ruffles are nicely done and contain Robert Rodriguez's signature lace, I feel like this was a total miss. It also cuts extremely low for some reason, and I can't imagine someone with a large chest than mine being able to wear this without looking totally scandalous!




Proenza Schouler Abstract-Print Sweatshirt
$29.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size X-Small



Out of all of the clothing, this sweatshirt is the most affordable, and evidently the most popular. I think the affordability of the sweatshirt has a lot to do with its popularity. That being said, it is a great sweatshirt.. as good as a sweatshirt can get? The hem is cut as a high-low; it makes the top a little trendier and not just your every day run of the mill. The fit is fantastic. They really nailed it with this one. Its probably one of the most flattering sweatshirts I've ever worn! The graphic is also pretty awesome, though, honestly I really wish they hadn't put this on a sweatshirt. Its just so... overly plain at the same time.

I'm not going to lie, part of me, really does want to get this sweatshirt. I think that it will be adorable with a collared shirt underneath, but I don't know if I can really justify paying $30 for a graphic. Even though the sweatshirt is cut nicely, its so plain that I really feel like all I'm paying for is the graphic.


Marchesa Petal-Skirt Dress
$79.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size Girl's Large



I love this dress! Love love love love. It reminds of me of Sex and the City. Why oh why couldn't they have made this in a women's size? or even a girl's XL? All of the girls' clothing stopped at large. None of it came in XL, even though the boy's cardigan went up to XL and all of Target's kids clothing goes up to XL. I almost feel like they were purposely trying to make it so smaller framed females would not be able to wear this. Which is unfortunately the case here. Its just a smudge too tight. The arm holes need to be widened and while I got it zipped up, I was not breathing very comfortably. The torso was also cut a bit too short.. but man! if the dress come in an XL? It would've been perfect.

Sigh. If you are fortunate enough to wear this comfortably, and it falls within your style, I suggest purchasing it. Its very well made (way over priced for a child's dress btw) and the petals are just gorgeous. They add volume without adding volume to your form.


Robert Rodriguez Fit-and-Flare Lace Dress
$99.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size 2



Readers, I admit. I'm totally torn. I really.. and I mean really.. cannot stop thinking about this dress. Its just a little bit too big in the bust (seriously Target, why can't you make a size 0 in any of these collaborations!?), but else fits beautifully. Ugh. Robert Rodriguez completely excelled in this dress. I actually feel like its worth every penny of that $99.99 price tag (though I have heard that others have difficulties with the zipper). Not only is there boning in the top, but an inside bra strap to keep the dress up. Its got about three layers of lining to make the bottom poof out more and I love how the lace overlay peeks out on top.

I have no where to wear this too! I want to purchase this dress so badly, but its the kind of dress you maybe wear once a year. Is it enough to spend $100 just to have it? I don't know. But if you can afford it, get it. End of story.


Marchesa Hand-Beaded Dress
$99.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size Girl's Large



Such a pretty dress! Very well made (though, again, way over priced for a child's dress) and darnit, why couldn't there be an XL available? If you are taller than 5'2" this will not fit on you length wise. Its fairly short and is just barely decent on my height. While this dress is sweeter than what I would normally wear, I just adore the design of it. The bead work is nicely done (though the seam attaching it is a tad off). The pleats are perfectly done. They're stiff enough to fall straight down but still gives so much movement. The hem is my favorite part. The way that it curls and ruffles and gives just a slight flare is, to me, what really makes this dress.

The top part, the beadwork, is a bit too short for a women's body unfortunately. If it was made just a bit longer the dress would flow down better and make it more flattering from the side. I also found the shoulders to be fairly tight, and again the arm holes were too small--something that I'm not sure can be altered on a dress like this.




Lela Rose Watercolor High-Low Dress
$99.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size 2



Why Lela? Why? What on earth were you thinking when you designed the bottom half of this dress? I have yet to see the bottom of the dress look good on any one (not even the model on the Target website). The only exception is Charlotte from Revenge, and that was only because someone tore out the inside netting and hacked off about 10 inches from the hem. Which is what I really want to do to the dress, but I don't think there's any world that exists that justifies me hacking up a $100 dress. Unless of course that dress were 70% off, but oh wait.. that's not happening.

I actually thought I was going to hate the torso. It really seemed like bad news bear with the knot and the empire waist cut and then a belt on top of all of that? Surprisingly, its quite flattering. Too bad its about the only thing that is flattering. The 2 fit with a little bit of room in the waist.


Tracy Reese Sequined Blouse
$79.99 (Neiman Marcus link, Target link), size X-Small



Last piece! Absolutely hated it. More than the Lela Rose dress.. at least that has potential! This just felt all wrong to me. Its probably because the cut felt dated to me. Like I needed to be in late 40's or 50's to wear it properly. I also disliked the half blue, half sequined aspect of it. But then, you guys already know I hate half shirts! I did see someone wearing this with a blazer, and it admittedly looked cute, but if that if that is the only way I'm going to wear it, I'm sure as heck not going to pay $80 for it! In additional to the failed bat-sleeves, the top is cut very narrow at the hem. Not a problem for me because I have fairly narrow hips, but I can see it causing problems for others.




Phew! And that is it. More misses than hits with this line, I'm afraid. Aside from the rag & bone cardigan, the other items on my list and fall within my worth the cost qualifications are the Oscar de la Renta dog & leash combo, obviously the Robert Rodriguez lace dress, and the Marc Jacob cashmere scarf. All together is still a fairly hefty shopping cart. Not sure which ones I'll get before the January 05th expiration date, but I'm sure you readers will find out one way or another.

What do you think? Have you had a chance to check out the collection yourself? Do you feel like it was a success or did Target finally bite off more than they could chew?

Have a happy weekend everyone!
bloglovintwittertumblr

17 comments:

  1. Great reviews! I actually just stopped into Target today to try some stuff on and take pictures for a fitting room review that I'm going to post this weekend. I'm so jealous that the Robert Rodriguez lace dress fit you. It was wayyy too short on me and didn't zip all the way. And those Marchesa dresses! It broke my heart that they weren't in adult sizes. I COMPLETELY agree about the Lela Rose dress. It just confuses me, and I can't think of anyone it would look good on. I was also annoyed that the lace on the Lela Rose top didn't continue onto the back, but I ended up purchasing it anyway. I liked it that much. Totally also got the sweatshirt. It was too comfy to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah!! Yeah, I really don't know who they were targeting with this collection and why they didn't make the the Marchesa dresses in XL! They would've sold so many of them!!

      :) Feel free to send me a link to your review! I'd love to check it out.

      Delete
  2. Love the detailed info and opinions in your review! You look so cute! I want to try the Marchesa dress on out of curiosity! The Rag & Bone sweater looks amazing on you, I also got it in the Boy's L. I got the PS sweatshirt because it looked better in person than in the lookbook. I really want this collection to go on sale after the holidays. I cannot imagine Target sending these items to Goodwill...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa!! <3 Target normally sends a good chunk of their overstock to Goodwill. I know a lot of girls find things they wanted from the Jason Wu line (including the infamous Milu scarf!) at Goodwill or in Goodwill auctions. There's a crazy rumor going around that these aren't EVEN going to go to Goodwill! What a waste. They're simply going to be destroyed. My heart cries just thinking about it.

      Delete
  3. You are so cute! I love this! It's like you're giving everyone the undercover scoop! :DDD
    I have to say that grey/black cardigan is awesome. So many ways to wear it and dress it up or down. It's kind of pricey, but it looks thick and warm. Perfect for winter.

    Keep up the great blog posts!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Target has 50% off sales from Friday and Saturday cant tell about after that. People are running in to buy. THe children stuff is still too expensive. Too bad. Just a few more inches of fabric and they might all be sold already. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I still can't justify $40 for a children's dress... especially since it'll be another $10 to alter the arm holes so it fits right. :)

      But I can totally justify $50 for the Robert Rodriguez dress! Hahaha.. thank you for the heads up!!! I went by last night and repurchased a few things ;)

      Delete
  5. he! What's left of this stuff is 70% off now! totally on board with the blazer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks for the heads up Marissa!

      I love the blazer, but even at 70% off I didn't pick it up. Gotta save money for the next line up now!

      Delete
  6. Randomly surfing thru -- I just bought the Lela Rose dress for $30 for the sake of the material. I love the colors. For $30, I am determined to hack the dress apart and make a wearable skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that is exactly what I plan on doing! I've heard rumors it may even go to 90%!

      Delete
  7. The dress is now 29.99 call and get price match I it refunded the difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it at the 70% too! Actually I was extra sneaky and used a $5 coupon too.. so both the LR dress and the RR dress cost me $25 each :)

      Delete
  8. Love this review (wish I had seen it earlier)! Now that everything is 70% off are you planning on getting the Lela Rose lace top?? I own it and actually really like it! I am also not a fan the lace only being on the front, but if you wear it with just a sweater you can't even tell :)

    http://7littlethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! Just for sizing reference, how tall are you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pamada,

    Randomly came across your site as I am bidding the thom browne blazer on ebay. May I know your size and height for reference? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,

      I typically wear between a 0-2 or XS-S. A Target size 2 typically doesn't fit me, but XS are OK. I'm 5'2".

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete