Wednesday, November 7, 2012

There's No Such Thing As "Too Short" (Guest Blog Post by Melodic, Thrifty and Chic)

The really amazing thing about going on a week long cruise isn't, surprisingly, the endless amounts of sun bathing and food that you can consume, but the simple fact that it literally forces you to disconnect from the internet. No one can interrupt someone's conversation by rudely whipping out a phone in the middle of dinner. No pings, texts, Facebook notifications--nothing. Not even a phone call! (Although who really uses their phone for calling now a days anyways?) As much as we all love to be "in the know" and connected to one another, sometimes a break from it all is well needed.

On the flip side, the bad thing about going on a week long cruise is that there is no internet! No Instagram photos, random Facebook updates, or a quick blog posts for you guys to follow! What's a poor blogger to do? Well, never fear, I love you all too much to leave you stranded. I've lined up a great guest blogger to entertain you while I'm gone!

Introducing Anna from Melodic, Thrifty and Chic. She's just getting her fashion blog up and running, but she's become a fast favorite of mine. Amazing blog posts and a great, stay warm without compromising chic kind of style. She's a no rules kind of girl, and thats probably my favorite thing about her!

Hope you guys enjoy!


❤    ❤    ❤    ❤    ❤    ❤    ❤    ❤    ❤


There's No Such Thing As "Too Short" by Melodic, Thriftt, and Chic

Ok, well, maybe there is such a thing. Haha! Still, don't be afraid to wear a daring high-low skirt or short dress. You can still make a fashion statement and be as modest as you want to be!

Let's start with short dresses. I've been on clothing pages on Facebook and read people's posts about a model being too tall and about the dress that the model is wearing looking way too short, and therefore the garment isn't worth buying. These folks could not be more wrong, though! You can save a short dress, you just have to get a little creative and make it your own.

One thing that I've been doing since I was a teenager is layering. I used to wear jeans under dresses and people looked at me like I was crazy. Now, it's all you see on college campuses. Vindication! Huzzah! Haha. Well, I've outgrown that strategy and I've opted for a more sophisticated solution: tame a short dress with a short skirt. That's right. Fight fire with fire! Hehe.





Take this super short, but really cute BB Dakota tuxedo ruffle dress, for instance. I'm 5'9" and on top of that I'm wearing wedge boots with 5 inch heels. So, this dress looks like more of a short tunic on me, as the hem is nowhere near my knobby knees. :/~

One thing I could have done, and that I've done in the past, is just wear tights with it. It's a quick solution, but that may not always be the best option (say, if you're a bit shy about your bum). ;D Therefore, if you want extra coverage while still maintaining a chic look, wear a short skirt underneath! It doesn't even have to be a short skirt. I just find that short skirts are easier to manage.

The pink skirt I'm wearing in this case hits me below the knee. So, I simply hiked it up above my waist and sinched it with a waist belt. Now, all you see is intricate, pink lace. It's the perfect make-shift petticoat, just without the volume! That being said, I have used larger bustle skirts as petticoats with measured success. That's a subject for another blog post, however. Hehe.

Anyway, as you can see, you can remedy a short dress with just about any skirt you've got. As long as the length, color and design of the skirt is appropriate for the particular dress. I have a soft spot for frilly skirts, but just about any skirt will do, IMO. :D



So, what about those pesky high-low dresses and tunics? They look great on girls with stick legs, but what about the rest of us? Haha. No offense, but I'm a runner. I have an athletic build, but I'm not scrawny. I've got plump thighs, a sizable rump and curves. These characteristics would seem to work against adding high-low garments to my wardrobe. I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm not *that* confident in my legs that I would show everything just below the panty-line. That's too daring for me.

Well, I've got a couple of solutions that have worked for me and that you may want to try, if you're interested in making the foray into high-low territory.



If a dress hangs low enough in the back, but is just a bit too short in the front, I'd opt for thick leggings. That way you don't have to worry about panty-lines in the back and you can feel confident that you won't be showing off too much in the front. I find that thin leggings/tights are too sheer to work out.

On the other hand, you can..yes, you guessed it: wear a short skirt! Here, I'm wearing a pretty short high-low tunic, which is long enough in the back and too short for comfort in the front. If I raised my arms at all, I'd be showing..well..everything. Haha. Even thick tights wouldn't make me feel comfortable under the circumstances. So, I wore a short, pleated black skirt with black lace trim. The lace trim is in hiding for some reason. It must have been riding up when I took these. Anyway, you get the idea! =)

I also wore thin tights and over-the-knee socks and boots, as it was a chilly, but rather pretty Fall day. I could have worn jeans or a longer skirt, but I actually wanted to wear the tunic as a short dress. I found that adding a little extra length with the pleated skirt was just what I needed to accomplish that goal. :P



I'm absolutely terrible at giving advice, but I do hope that you find this helpful/inspiring/exciting! Oh, gosh. I probably should tell you who I am, huh? Haha. I'm just little old Anna from Melodic, Thrifty and Chic. If you like what I'm wearing feel free to stop by my blog for additional photos and purchase links.

One more thing, if you like music, check out my music blog! This week I'm doing jazz mostly from the 50's and 60's and featuring greats such as Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington and Ahmad Jamal. =)

Also, big thanks to Just Pandippo for allowing me to hijack her blog! ❤

Have a great week, folks!

(\__/)
(=‘.’=)



bloglovintwittertumblr

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya girl- I have the same body type, except you may be a bit taller. Not all clothes look good on me, its all about knowing what flatters and what falters! You look great, you have an awesome, one-of-a-kind style that is really nice to look at!

    ReplyDelete