Thursday, November 15, 2012

Maison Martin Margiela for H&M




Its no secret that the fashion world loves collaborations. Its beginning to feel like every other day a new line with a major designer and a mid-line brand is being announced.

Not that I'm complaining.

I spent half my savings on the Jason Wu for Target, and I have no regrets. I love his aesthetics and having the opportunity to incorporate that into my wardrobe without breaking the bank is fantastic. Uniqlo had Jil Sanders and now Orla Kiely, there was Prabal Gurung for J.Crew, and even Kohl's has joined in the fun with Narciso Rodriguez (set to launch in November) and Derek Lam (uhoh x100 btw). The list just goes on and on.

H&M has definitely been no stranger to designer collaborations. If anything, it stands to have the most impressive list starting with Karl Langerfeld to Lavin to Versace and most recently Anna Dello Russo. And the Swedish retailer isn't stopping any time soon. Its collaboration with Maison Martin Margiela launches today and seems to have everyone scratching their heads. Margiela isn't the most widely known designer, but one thing he is known for is his avant-garde style. His spring 2011 ready to wear line was so hip it was square - literally. The catwalk was full of flat boarded jackets and coats. Its really quite safe to say that Margiela loves his extremes, and his collection with H&M is no exception.

Except now has me wondering if the whole mid-line designer collaborations have gone too far. The general purpose of these partnerships is to give the average consumer a chance to own and wear an item that could other wise not afford. But when a designers entire aesthetic is based on exagerations and extremes, how much sense does it make to translate that style into a low-end line?

Margiela's items undoubtedly have a fantastic editiorail aspect to them. Positioned and staged just right, his garments look elegant and unusual at the same time.




But lets be honest here, how many average consumers would actually be able to wear Margiela's items the way he intended them to be? Granted, the best thing about fashion is adopting an item and twisting it to something of your own style. But even then, there are limitations to how much twist can go about.

As you can see in the photos below, a lot of the H&M x Maison Martin Margiela items don't even look that good on super models or celebrities. My rule of thumb, if it doesn't look good on a model, it probably won't look good on you.



I suppose only the upcoming outfits post will tell! I'm not entirely sure if I'll make it out to H&M today to see these in person. I'm a bit mad at H&M right now, but thats for another blog post ;)

Let me know if you guys end up picking up some items! Feel free to link to your outfit posts below, I'd love to see what they look like on.



bloglovintwittertumblr

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting... For the means of growing my bank account, I have forced myself to turn off most news outlets from the fashion world. This is one I haven't heard much about, and I would agree with you. This is a bit too far, those models don't look good in those creations at all! I'll definitely keep my eye out for those pieces if and when I got to H&M next.
    Also, I've awarded you the Liebster Award! Check it out here .
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete