Tuesday, October 30, 2012

This totally happened...




Yeah, that's right. I dyed my hair red, and its not just for Halloween. This is pretty permanent. Or so the box says. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now, but there were some things I had to do before I could do it.

Like get my hair cut.

I was a bad panda. I haven't cut my hair in over a year. Seriously. I haven't cut my hair since August 2011 when I chopped it all off (and was still drawing and posting frequently, and refusing to use capitalization). This is definitely one of those, "Don't try this at home, kids" kind of moment. My hairstylist was beyond appalled and couldn't stop talking about how "thirsty" my hair was. Its a good thing my Bloom box this month included a hair mask for me to try out. :P

So he chopped off a good chunk of hair, put layers and shape back into place and cleaned up my poor excuse for bangs--but he didn't color it.

That was all me! Well, all BF. Same thing right?

Surprisingly it came out really well. Its the exact shade of red that I envisioned. My layers play into it just right, making it subtle and bold at the same time. I love how it peeks out from the front, almost unnoticeable until I turn around. I've gotten tons of compliments since the change, and the best part? The cost!





Talk about your money savers! I was a bit nervous and hesitant to do this on my own at home. My hair is pretty dark and I didn't want to do an at-home bleach job to get the color to pop. I remember the results of some of those back in college. My friends' hair always ended up dry and crispy, and worse, the color would fade and they would end up with pink (if dyed red) or green (if dyed blue) hair! Lucky for me, I have a friend who has already gone down this route and had a too affordable recommendation--Loreal HiColor HiLights!

You'll need to use a developer in conjunction with the color, but its pretty much a one step process. Now, with most DIY beauty treatments, it wasn't without some trial and error. But lucky for you guys, I'm here with tips so that you can do it perfectly the first time!

❤ If you have dark colored hair, especially if its virgin hair (meaning you haven't permed it or treated it with any color), you'll need to use the 40 volume developer. The instructions say to leave the color in for 30 minutes, but that won't be enough to penetrate. I recommend leaving it in for at least an hour.
❤ Do not mix brands. There are several salon quality dyes that can be used to color your hair, but if you pick one brand, you need to make sure to use the same brand developer. The two are formulated to go together, and mixing brands may off throw the chemistry and lead to disastrous results.
❤ Do your tips last! I learned this the hard way back in college. Heat will set the color faster. If you do your roots first the heat from your scalp will cause the color to developer faster than the rest of your head, leaving you with a halo around your scalp.
❤ Once you rinse your color, make sure to follow up with a color protecting conditioner. This will help close up the hair cuticles and seal the color in longer.

That's pretty much it! Easy right? The dyeing process can be done on your own, but it'll go a lot faster (and be more accurate) if you can have (force) someone to help you. This is a super affordable way to change up your hair style. The Loreal HiColor dye was only $5.00 and the Oreor Developer was $7.00 (8oz size). The developer is good for about four treatments. I really can't wait to see how the red incorporates itself into my braids. There will definitely be more hair posts after this ;) Just stay tuned!

bloglovintwittertumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment