Tuesday, July 3, 2012

IMATS Los Angeles 2012


Warning! Photobomb galore



Out of everything that happens at IMATS (thats the International Make-up Artist Trade Show for those of you who don't know), the one thing that will never change is the front of the Pasadena Convention Center. Seriously. This was my third year attending and every single year I have a photo like this.

Only this time, the line was seriously insane. I've never seen it this busy before - which was surprising since ticket prices actually doubled this year! (Just kidding, see edit below). I almost didn't attend myself if it weren't for the generosity of a very awesome friend.



The mayhem.

This was at 9:30 AM, people--IMATS opened its doors at 8:30 AM! I'd already been stuck in the MAC line for 30 minutes when I took this. Don't mess with girls and 20% off MAC makeup. Its dangerous.

So for those of you who aren't really familiar with IMATS, its a make up trade show that happens every year in Los Angeles (it also happens in Toronto, New York, Vancouver, Sydney, and London). Its mostly for professional make up artists to go and learn about up-coming trends, meet new brands, and to stock up on all of their supplies with crazy discounts. IMATS is open to the general public as well, and awesomely enough, we get crazy discounts too! Like 40% off of Stila, Urban Decay, Bobbi Brown... Are you drooling yet? Because you should be.

In addition to make up crazed fans, fashion bloggers and tons and tons of make up, you'll also see actors/models walking around like zombies...



or with flowers and skulls.




This one was probably my favorite though. She was part of the Sugarhill brand. Its kind of like a 50's housewife got mixed into an anime character.

IMATS is really a great place if you have remotely any kind of interest in make up. Big or small, it really has something for everyone. Even if you aren't interested in attending any of the discussions or classes, its just awesome walking around and looking at the different things artists are creating. Personally though, I really like attending the classes and talks. I picked up some great contouring tips from the first one I attended, and I still use them today. Plus its always fascinating finding out what goes on behind the scenes or how much work is really involved into making a bloody corpse or something.






trying out orange lipstick >.< don't judge

Random: It ends up that blacked out store fronts make excellent mirrors to bounce a camera off of. :P I stayed out a wee bit too late the night before and didn't wake up in time to take some outfit shots. I'd blame my BMF (best male friend), but its hard to turn down a Pixar movie. Even if it is at 11:30 PM.

One thing I was really glad for this year, was the fact that they expanded the exhibit floor. This meant that there were more beauty vendors than before and at least in my opinion, even better discounts (which totally makes up for the increase in admission). They also moved all of the FX exhibits into its own room, which I thought was kind of nice. While it still falls under that make up label, it was always kind of weird to see Rip Van Winkle next to a bright pink background.




Make up artist team from the show Grimm, on NBC (one of my favs btw).

So what were the things to note from this years IMATS? Well for one thing, 3D is no longer in movies or even on just books. Its invaded the make up world now, too, and while I'm not a big fan of 3D movies, 3D make is rather awesome and totally unphotographably (at least by my unskilled hands). I also feel like make up is taking a turn towards the more dramatic lately and yes I know its a make up show and things are suppose to be dramatic, but I mean in the every day consumer as well. I've never seen so many dramatic false lashes for sale, and there were more than a handful of lip sticks in a variety of bright colors. Its really interesting to see how fashion influences beauty and how those trends get translated into make up products.

In any case, I'll stop blabbing on about the show and talk about what I know you're all dying to hear about (because why else would you be here? ;) - what the hell did I buy? Because y'know when Make Up Forever, MAC, Urban Decay, etc are all on sale for 20-40% off its down right impossible that I didn't walk away a few bills lighter and a few beauty bags heavier.



Here is everything, including a few free samples I picked up. Not too bad right? Overall, I only spent around a $100--which to be honest, was nothing short of a miracle. Stila had palettes 4 for $80. They normally retail for around $39 a piece. I really don't know how I didn't walk away with 4 palettes.

Probably because I did walk away with 4 glittery colored liners from Stila ($10 a piece w00t!). They're waterproof and pretty much life proof. I forgot to wipe off my hands after I got back from the show, went on a 4 mile run with BMF and all of the colors I'd tested out were still there. And of course, I wore one out that night, since we were headed to a club (supposedly TI, JCole, and Snoop Dog were going to show up). After several hours of dancing in an over crowded, dripping in sweat (yea gross huh?) room, my liner was still in place and barely faded. Pretty impressive!



I also went a little nuts on falsies and I really can't wait to try them out.




After the Velour ones (which are a 100% mink O.o btw), the purple and blue ones are my favorite. I think they'll be a nice stepping stone to the "unnatural" lash world.

I also picked up some MAC's pro-line items: Chromeliner in Black-Black (a great step up from their gel liner) and Chromagraphic Pencil in NC15/NW20 (which is really fantastic for your lower waterline). And the best part? I don't have to try and make this all last a year before the next one! They moved up next year's Los Angeles IMATS to January, so I can go nuts with all of this and restock in 6 months. :X (This may actually be quite horrible considering its right after holidays and after-Christmas sales).

What do you guys think? Would you attend this next year if it was in your area?

P.S. .. I also picked up some stuff at Urban Decay, but after I got home. They ran out of things so quickly that they just offered up a 40% off to use later on their website. Naked 2 palette.. you are mine! <3 Hope you all have a Happy 4th!! I'll be in Carmel soaking up some sun (and unfortunately doing some work). Update! I was wrong about the tickets prices doubling. There use to be tickets for just the exhibit floor and you couldn't attend any of the classes. Silly me didn't remember! (I took a class the first year, and I remember I paid $35, and didn't do the classes the second year so it was only $20). So actually ticket prices only went up by $5 - either way. Totally worth it!




bloglovintwittertumblr

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you went! I missed out on it again this year! I going to try to make the one in January tho such an awesome event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice!


    p.s. I'm having a giveaway from Dahlia if you'd like to check it out.
    devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

    ReplyDelete