Monday, April 23, 2012

Winks by Georgie Review & Tutorial


Warning! Photobombed post!



The lovely folks at Bloom.com sent out a pair of Winks by Georgie for the my April Ambassador kit. When I first heard I would be receiving a pair of falsies to review, I was a bit worried. I may be the last person who should be giving a review or tutorial on false lashes! I suffer from monolidism (yes, I totally just made that word up) and I often have trouble with falsies. It took me years to get it right, and while I love the look, sometimes I still suffer with the application! I've had to throw away a lot of lashes that I got messed up during the trial and error process.

The Winks, however, did not end up falling into the messed up category. In fact they were quite the opposite. Now, these are by no means some miracle lashes that will put themselves on for you, but the process of putting them on was relatively painless. I think a lot of it had to due with the quality of the glue provided with the Winks as well. It got really nice and tacky and pretty much stuck to where I placed it. No sliding around!



When I first got my package, I was really surprised as to how big the box for the Winks was! Every time I'd purchased false lashes before, it would normally come in a box about a quarter of the size. But once I opened up the box, I realized that this was the perfect to carry your falsies in. Its just about the size of a large compact and still easily fits into my make up train. The lashes and glue stayed protected in the hard plastic case and you don't have to worry about them getting smashed by all your other items.



And oh-my-goodness. Look at those lashes. Aren't they beautiful? I loved how full they looked and how soft they felt. They blended into my natural lashes quite well, and because of the length and fullness of the Winks I didn't need to use mascara to blend/fuse them together. They also stayed on really well. I've had lashes fall off on me an hour after application (thank you oily lids), so it was really nice not to worry about that. And even better? BF loved how they looked! In fact, he was quite sad when I took them off, but I didn't want to risk bending the lashes by sleeping in them. Plus I'm fairly sure they weren't meant to be worn that way (too bad, wouldn't it be great to wake up with super full lashes?).

Removing the lashes was surprisingly easy considering how well the glue held up. I just rolled off the excess, placed my Winks back into their protective container, and washed off the remaining glue from my lids. And just like that I was back to a normal, non-existant lashes.

Winks cost around $28 and come in three different styles. The style you see on the blog today is "Style 02: L'Avant Gardiste". Its a little high in cost for a pair of lashes (I think even more than Shu Umera's cost) but I thought they were well worth the splurge. The lashes held up well and look/feel like that can stand up to multiple uses. I've had other lashes that claimed to be multiple use, but once I removed them they looked trashed and unusable.

When you get your Winks, there will be instructions included on how to put them on. I've also did a step by step tutorial on how to apply the Winks below. There are a lot of tutorials out there on how to apply lashes onto lids with creases, but not as many for the folks with a monolid or no crease. Hopefully this will help someone out.

This also marks my very first make up tutorial for the blog! Yay!

How to Apply False Lashes
Starring Winks by Georgie

Step 01: Measure

Carefully remove your Winks from their travel case and measure out the length that you'll need. This will really vary from person to person as every individual's eyes are a different size and shape. You may want to practice a few times on a cheaper set until you can figure out exactly where the right position/length is right for you. The best way to do this is to hold the lash up to your lid and adjust the positioning until you are satisfied. Mark the spot you want to trim off you with your thumb.

Be careful not to extend the Winks too far into the corner of your outer lid. It may seem like a good fit at first, but as you go through your day (or night) the ends of the falsies will start poking into the skin and make it tender. I always trim just a bit short of what I think I need.




Step 02: Trim

Trim off any excess and remeasure just to be sure. Now this tip is for the monolid folks out there. Because we don't have much of a crease, sometimes the weight of falsies can be too much for our lids and have negative effects/appearances (like hindering your vision). It took me quite few tries, but I found that starting the lashes about half way point of my eyes was the most comfortable to wear and had the most flattering effect. Sometimes this means you'll end up cutting off more than half of your falsies, but I promise you it'll work out.



Step 03: Glue

Carefully add a line of glue to the back of the Winks. Don't worry if you glob on too much, the glue dries clear and won't be noticeable afterwards. Bend the lashes into a horseshoe shape while the glue dries just a bit. You want the glue to be tacky, not super fresh or they'll slid around on your lids too much (it makes a big mess). I'd say it takes about 60 seconds for the glue to become tacky.




Step 04: Stick

Slowly place your Winks as close to your natural lash line as possible, pressing firmly on the corners. I like to use my fingers to help with the placements, but if you have shaky hands, you may want to try using a pair of tweezers. Try not to blink or move your lid around too much while the glue dries. You know you'll be good to go once you can't see the glue anymore. At this point, I normally go back in and touch up any spots of my eyeliner that may have rubbed off during the process.



Step 05: Curl

Don't forget to curl your lashes! This will help blend the Winks into your natural lashes and of course open them up even more. Now the Winks were pretty curled to begin with, but because I don't have a crease the lashes tend to hang lower over my eyes and hinder my vision a bit. This was easily fixed with a few quick presses with my eye curler. This may be a necessary step for you if you have a monolid.

At this point you could also add in a layer of mascara, but I really didn't feel it was necessary with the Winks. The lashes were so full and dark that it would've been over-dramatic if I'd thrown mascara on top.




And that's it! Just five easy steps to great beautiful lashes. I've included some before and after photos below:


As you can see, I have like.. NO lashes. They're almost non-existent


Super awesome, long beautiful lashes!

I had these photos done in black and white so you guys could really see how my lashes looked in each photo. The after photo was taken at the end of my evening, and as you can see the lashes held on quite well. I'm really excited for these and can't wait to use them again. I'm not sure if you guys recall, but when I went to the holiday party with BF back in December, I also used some falsies with my make up. These were a pair I picked up from Spencer's, and while they worked well enough (especially after a couple coats of mascara) they don't really hold up a candle against the Winks.

So what do you guys think? Will you be getting your Wink on? :)

If you have any questions or want some more tips on putting on your Winks, Bloom is holding a Facebook event tomorrow at 8:00 AM PST/11:00 AM EST and 4:00 PM PST/7:00 PM EST. The folks behind Winks by Georgie will also be there to answer some questions as well as myself and the other lovely Beauty Ambassadors! You might even win a pair of Winks to take home yourself! :) No need to RSVP, just log on to Bloom's Facebook page during the appropriate times for a chance to win and to get your questions answered!

Winks by Georgie was provided to me by Bloom.com for a complete and honest review. Opinions are all of my own!

bloglovintwittertumblr

13 comments:

  1. I have never actually worn falsies I blame being a four eye for that. You did a great job on this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha thanks Ashley! Maybe you can try shorter lashes that are still full??

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea that might work. I have a pair from my myglam bag that I still need to test out too but I'm ssccccurrreeed lol

      Delete
    3. How do you like the MyGlam bag? Thats the Michelle Phan one right? I was looking at it but I just signed up for BirchBox so I figured I should start with one thing at a time. Lol.

      Delete
    4. It's been hit and miss the first few bags were good the next were flops but last month was nice I got an Urban Decay liner, lashes, Dermstore lip quench and some brushes + the makeup bag. They are supposed to be more makeup based but they haven't came thru on that 100%. They have met with a bunch of beauty bloggers to get thoughts on what they should improve so hopefully they will step their game up. Michelle Phan started it but the CEO is someone else and they have other YouTube makeup ppl in it as well but I haven't seen them do much more than be the face of the company. For $10 I can't really complain I just signed up for BB too. Word is May's will be a Gossip Girl box with makeup.

      Delete
  2. I wore falsies once and it didn't work out. So i'm a little gun-shy ;) . But you make it look so effortless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to me! I wore them once and i couldn't SEE. lol. They completely blocked my vision and I couldn't keep my eyes opened so I swore them off for years. I finally caved again and decided to try a couple of different methods. :) Don't give up! I think these are a great alternative to mascara esp since these won't run or smudge on you!

      Delete
  3. You're making me spend money, Pam... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you need a referral i think there's some sorta discount with it.. would have to double check

      Delete
  4. I have never worn false lashes but find that my natural lashes are getting extremely thin and sparse. After having several rounds of Chemotherapy they eventually fell out and haven't been the same since.

    Are these lashes ok to use if you have gone through chemo and are now extra sensitive? How long can you wear them before they need to be taken off?

    Great job on your demonstration. These look great and I hope to try them soon.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie!

      The glue created by Georgie is dermatologist-tested and botanically-infused. According to the folks from Georgie they tested out the adhesive many many times against several different skin times and they never had any adverse reactions. The glue is created with certified organic blue chamomile, so its really gentle on the skin. I'm kind of violent and I like to rip my lashes out and I didn't feel any stinging with these.

      Also from the Georgie site ".. we never use formaldehyde, parabens, or phthalates. Our adhesive utilizes premium-grade ingredients and new green technology that eliminates most allergy-causing proteins found in other latex products.."

      I wore my lashes for 4 or 5 hours and they stayed on pretty well. I heard other girls wore theirs for 7+ and didn't feel any kind of irritation with them. I found they were pretty comfy the entire time I wore them.

      Hopefully this helps you out and you'll be able to give them a try! I was really impressed with these and I loved how they looked natural but at the same time really dramatic :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for the information. Now I need to just order some and give them a try. I would love to add a little "drama" to my eyes and have some fun. :)

    ReplyDelete