Friday, March 16, 2012

fashion star




Did you guys watch Fashion Stars on Tuesday? I did! I even made BF sit through the last hour of it (and 5 minutes in he was looking up youtube video's on RC planes). If you didn't watch or have no idea what I'm talking about, Fashion Stars is another reality fashion TV series. It's pulled in fashion celebs like Elle Macpherson (host), Nicole Richie, and Jessica Simpson (both mentors). John Varvatos is also one of the mentors on the show, but you don't seem to hear too much about him. The concept of the show is to bring in experienced, but unknown designers and give them an opportunity to show case a design in front of buyers for three very popular retaliers - Saks 5th Avenue, Macy's and H&M.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of the show yet. The concept is definitely cool and very inspirational, but I found while watching that there was a lot more to be longed for. Granted it was the pilot and most pilots start off a bit rocky to begin with, so my hope is that the show will get better once they start whittling down the amount of designers showcasing.



There is one SF native in the show (and he's Asian!), so I'm secretly routing for him. But seeing as how he didn't get any offers the first round, I'm thinking it might be a short lived route. The way the show works is, after a designer show cases their design the buyers decide if they want to make an offer. If the designer gets an offer, their design is sold in stores as soon as the show is over online, and in store the very next day. If a designer doesn't get any offers, then they are in danger of elimination. Only one person gets eliminated every show. The buyers pick their bottom three, the mentors have the option to save one of the designers, and from the two that remain the buyers decide who they want to eliminate.

Its very Project Runway.

Except its not. Elle Macpherson doesn't say "Auf Wiedersehen" and they pretty much cut out the entire design process and mainly focus on the "purchasing" part.

Which honestly, I found to be disappointing. I know the show is trying its best to stay away from "oh its another Project Runway" kind of stigma, but seeing the design process is really amazing. I would like them to not necessarily focus the entire show on the design portion, but more than the 30 seconds of airtime they gave it. In any case I'm willing to give it another whirl.


Waiting for an offer.. This guy (Nicholas Bowes) was such an arrogant idiot btw. :P


The winning designers: Edmond Newton, Lizzie Parker, Nikki Poulos, Nzimiro Oputa, Orly Shani, Sarah Perrott

Sarah Perrott's design ended up being my favorite, with Edmond Newton's white lace dress being a close runner up. However Sarah's designed sold at H&M for $19.95 while Edmond's cost $110. >.< Huge price difference! Unfortunately H&M launched their online store immediately after the East Coast airing, which is about an hour before the West Coast even saw it! Needless to say the dress completely sold out, and by the time I got to the store, they were all out of my size! Sad panda. Its OK. I made up for the disappointment by purchasing some DVF for Gap items. Ho hum.






Another disappointing factor was Lizzie Parker. On the show they talked about how she completely wow'd everyone with her design, but they barely showed it! I think the showed the design process longer than they showed her runway scene. I didn't even know what she looked like until I googled it! I'm not sure what their reasoning was behind that and I found it really sad that the decided to focus more on the two looks that didn't even get offers than to showcase hers.



Orly Shani's design was the only one to be picked up by Saks and sold for a whooping $350!!! Its ironic that it would be the most expensive item available considering the basis behind the Orly's designs is dual function to save money. Still, it was an interesting idea, and fairly well executed.

Overall I found most of the designs to be OK and not totally mind blowing. I am looking forward to the next few episodes, however, to see if things improve.

What do you guys think? Will you be tuning in next week?

<3 Have a great weekend!!

bloglovintwittertumblr

1 comment:

  1. Heard a lot about the show but unfortunately not possible to watch it currently in Germany...

    Join my new JIMMY CHOO GIVEAWAY

    Tanja - PureGlam.tv or via Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete